Mi amiga Adriana Kaplan lleva muchos años trabajando para erradicar la mutilación genital femenina, y ha desarrollado iniciativas tan interesantes como su sustitución por un ritual similar, respetuoso con las tradiciones, pero en el que no se practique la ablación física. Ahora tiene financiación para contratar a un doctor, que trabajará a caballo entre Barcelona y Gambia, y me escribe este email para ver si puedo difundir la convocatoria:
JOB DESCRIPTION AND PERSON SPECIFICATION
Vacancy: Postdoctoral Position
Location: Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, Spain and The Gambia
Starting date: 11-06-2012 / Deadline for application: 10-05-2012
SCOPE OF WORK
The UAB Wassu Foundation is a newly created institution which main purpose is to develop an applied research program for the implementation of an integral strategy for addressing the issue of Female Genital Mutilation/Cutting. Its activities in applied research since 1989, include clinical and qualitative research such as clinical and epidemiological surveys, KAP studies on knowledge, attitudes and practices among the primary health professionals and communities, prevalence maps, case studies, focus discussion groups, barrier analysis, preventive interventions records, etc. The research activities are conducted both in Spain and in The Gambia.
For more information see: www.mgf.uab.es
- PhD in Anthropology or Sociology with a strong background in statistics and data analysis or PhD in Demography or Epidemiology with a strong background in Social Sciences.
- Good publication record with at least 2-3 ﬁrst author articles.
- Experience in issues related with Public and Community Health, Clinical Surveys, KAP studies and Demographic studies.
- Experience in projects based in sub-Saharan Africa would be an advantage.
- Excellent English and Spanish.
- Availability to travel to African countries.
- Computer skills in Microsoft Words, Excel, Access, PowerPoint and use of the Internet.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks/responsibilities in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills, able to work cordially within a team, self-motivated worker and team player.
- Respectful and ability to handle culturally sensitive issues in a tactful way.
- Design of data collection tools, qualitative and quantitative
- Monitor and follow-up data collection.
- Participate in the production of documentary videos for the project.
- Prepare and submit scientific reports for the different partners/projects.
- Prepare and submit abstracts for international events.
- Writing of peer reviewed journal articles on the methodology of the project, based on knowledge transfer and on data collected in the field.
- Update the scientific bibliography on FGM/C.
If you are interested in this post, please send your application with your CV and your 3 more relevant scientific articles by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org, before May 10th, 2012.