Mis compañeros del Centro de Estudios Demográficos están embarcados, junto al Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research, en una magnífica empresa docente: un Doctorado Europeo en demografía. Me envían un email para informar de la apertura del plazo para inscribirse, y quiero poner mi granito de arena. España es un país atrasado en demografía, sin carrera universitaria (sólo algún esforzado curso básico en alguna facultad). Por eso la iniciativa que hace ya algunos años tuvo el CED creando la primera titulación oficial (en forma de doctorado, que ahora expande para hacerlo europeo) me parece crucial para la «reproducción» de nuestro campo de trabajo.
De: IUSSP <firstname.lastname@example.org> (International Union for the Scientific Study of Population)
Asunto: Fellowships for European Doctoral School of Demography
Fecha: 8 de febrero de 2012 10:55:16 GMT+01:00
Applications for the 2012-2013 program will be accepted from January 2012 onwards. The application deadline is 15 April 2012.
EDSD is an eleven-month program that is offered every year, with the goal to provide students in the first year of their doctoral studies with an appropriate high-level education in demography. Students will acquire a solid knowledge base on causes and consequences of demographic change, population data, statistical and mathematical demography, as well as modeling, simulation and forecasting. The School’s courses are structured in such a way that the students work on precise formulation of a thesis topic and early steps of their dissertations. The language of the School is English.
In the upcoming school year the School will be held at two different locations. The preparatory courses (from September to mid-October) will be offered at the Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research (http://www.demogr.mpg.de) in Rostock, Germany. The core courses (from mid-October to end of July) will be held at the Centre for Demographic Studies at Autonomous University of Barcelona (http://www.ced.uab.cat/index.php?newlang=eng), Spain.
Successful completion of the School results in a Master in demography offered by Autonomous University of Barcelona as well as a European Research Certificate of Demography provided under the auspices of the European Association for Population Studies (EAPS).
The EDSD does not charge fees. Several European research institutes and universities provide full fellowships for all students accepted to the program.
Please visit our website at http://www.eds-demography.org for more information on the EDSD curriculum and application instructions.
How to apply:
Students with an excellent MA degree or its equivalent are eligible to apply for a fellowship to the EDSD program.
There is no official application form. Instead, applicants are requested to submit the documents described below.
All applications must be made by email. Applications should be sent to: email@example.com
Begin your email message with a statement saying that you apply for the European Doctoral School of Demography. You also need to include the following documents (as attached documents).
- (1) Curriculum Vitae. This should include information on your educational and work history, language abilities and extracurricular interests, as well as a list of your scholarly publications.
- (2) One recent letter of recommendation. Request this letter from a person qualified to evaluate your academic and professional qualifications, familiar with your academic achievement and in a position to assess your potential for success in the EDSD.
- (3) Statement of purpose. The Statement of Purpose should be no longer than five double-spaced pages. It should provide a clear picture of your academic and professional interests, background and plans. It should also describe how your interests fit in with the EDSD program. Please include a detailed description of your knowledge of mathematics, statistics, and computer programming. You may also use the Statement of Purpose to underscore aspects of your personal and professional experience that are relevant to your application and that might not be obvious to a reader of your transcripts and curriculum vitae.
- (4) Transcripts. Request the Registrar of each college or university you have attended to provide you with one official transcript and include copies of all transcripts with your application. If a transcript is not issued in English, please provide an English translation.
- (5) MA/BA/Diploma certificates. Provide a photocopy of each University degree certificate earned.
- (6) Certification of English language proficiency . Students seeking admission to EDSD should have an adequate command of English.
All applicants who are neither native English speaker nor have earned a degree at a University in which the language of instruction was English are urgently requested to submit certification of their English proficiency. We accept TOEFL (www.ets.org/toefl) or CAE test scores. The minimum TOEFL score required is 600 on the paper-based, 250 on the computer-based or 100 on the internet-based test. If you cannot provide certification of your English proficiency you should include a few sentences in your Statement of Purpose explaining why you think your English is good enough.
Email inquiries concerning the application process should also be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org